CEMETERIES ALLOTMENTS AND PARKS
Wivenhoe Old Cemetery. Penny Kraft.
INFORMATION ON WIVENHOE CEMETERIES.Wivenhoe has two cemeteries, the Old Cemetery and the New Cemetery, both situated along Belle Vue Road. The Old Cemetery is now closed and is an important green space and area of safe haven for wildlife. Occasionally interments are held there in old family graves. The Estates Team mow it twice a year. The Town Council's Old Cemetery Management Plan, adopted in 2007, can be seen here.
Old Cemetery in Springtime. Toni Stinson and Penny Kraft.
The New Cemetery is now almost full and has only a few spaces left. 15 years ago the Town Council decided to restrict its use to Wivenhoe residents only, and now only residents with an established residency in Wivenhoe (approx 20-30 years) can be buried there.
Pre-purchasing is no longer possible.
A new section for ashes has been secured alongside one of the paths. The Town Council has been investigating land for a third cemetery for the past 20 years and the matter is still being looked into.
An area for stainless steel memorial plaques to commemorate loved ones has been created along one side of the Cemetery Chapel wall at a cost of £45 per plaque including fixtures and fitting. Please contact the Council office for further information.
All the burial records dating back to 1855 have now been digitized and the data stored on Town Council records. Burial searches can often be carried out in a matter of minutes. Please contact the Council office for further details.
The Cemetery Chapel has recently been refurbished and is a volunteer run museum. It opens on weekends from May to September between 10.00am - 1.00pm and new volunteers are always welcome. Please contact the Council Office for further details.
KING GEORGE V FIELD (KGV).
If you would like to use the KGV Field for an event please contact the Office on email@example.com.